Monday, February 18, 2013

Chinoiserie Chic in Florida: The Entryway

On Friday, I wrote about an amazing Chinoiserie historic home that recently hit the market here in Coral Gables, Florida.  The moment I laid eyes on this Chinese masterpiece, I immediately thought of Beth at Chinoiserie Chic I frequently drive by this iconic home, and I have always admired it. So when it became available for sale, I just knew she had to decorate it… even if was a virtual decoration! Beth agreed, and beginning today, she will choose a different room each week and create an inspiration board with her vision of the house. 
 
Today she begins with the entryway and main hall. Be sure to check back each week to see more of Beth’s incredibly talented vision in this Chinoiserie Chic virtual renovation. Up Next: the dining room!
 
Given the historical significance of this home, I wanted to keep its existing color scheme of the yellow and red exterior and elaborate red interior woodwork, but use an eclectic mix of classic and modern elements. This is my inspiration board for the entryway and downstairs main hall. Pictures of the exterior as well as the foyer and hall are shown below to refresh your memory from Friday's house tour.

My inspiration board -

The floors are stained black ebony with a high gloss finish. The walls are wallpapered in the classic and iconic Scalamandre Zebras. This wallpaper was created by Scalamandre in the 1940s for Gino's restaurant in Manhattan. A black lacquer Italian bench from the 1940s is upholstered in David Hicks black and white Greek key. A pair of modern metal Louis chairs in red from Wisteria are a fun addition. Two dramatic chandeliers by Marjorie Skouras, the one in black for the entryway and one in yellow for the main hallway. I think this would be a dramatic entrance to the home, paying homage to the home's past, but bringing into 2013.

Stay tuned next week for my ideas for another room in this amazing house.


Watercolor by Laura Mullaney.  Images below from www.ChineseVillageHouse.com.




4 comments:

  1. What an unusual looking house, I have never seen anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG Beth!!! You absolutely captured the vibe of the original house! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so very much for including us! I love the combination of pieces - Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth is a bad ass! great job. So loving this series. Will definitely be back to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments. They absolutely make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips